- Total:20 mins
- Prep:20 mins
- Cook:0 mins
- Chill:5 hrs
- Yield:1 pie (8 servings)
Watch out chocolate cream pie: there’s a new favorite in town. This no-bake Nutella pie is not only one of the creamiest and tastiest chocolate desserts, it’s also one of the easiest. For this “one-bowl” recipe, your trusted food processor is the only clean up. It wears many hats, first finely grinding cookies for the crust, then whipping up an awfully smooth and silky cream cheese Nutella filling, and finally making a sturdy and long-lasting whipped cream topping.
The cream cheese in this recipe cuts the sweetness of the Nutella just a tad and gives the filling a subtle and very welcome tang. The billowy, lightly sweetened whipped cream topping is also a perfect foil to the rich flavor of Nutella. Toasted and chopped hazelnuts add a nice crunch and look lovely sprinkled on top, making them the perfect garnish for this pie.
Finally, this is a no-bake dessert through and through, with even the crust avoiding the oven. It’s the perfect sweet for your Thanksgiving spread—when the oven is occupied with turkey and stuffing—or during the summertime heat.
- For the Crust:
- 9 ounces chocolate wafer cookies (about 42 two-inch cookies, or just under 2 cups ground)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- For the Filling and Topping:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 3/4 cups Nutella (or other hazelnut-chocolate spread)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups heavy cream (divided)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Garnish: 1/4 cup hazelnuts (toasted and chopped)
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the wafers in the bowl of a food processor and process the cookies until finely ground.
- Melt the butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe pie plate. If you do not have a microwave-safe pie plate, use a small heat-proof bowl and then add the melted butter to the plate.
- Add the crumbs to the pie plate and using a fork and then your fingers combine the crumbs and butter until sandy. Press the crumbs into the bottom of the pie plate and up the sides. Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Wipe the processor bowl out with a paper towel and add the cream cheese. Process until creamy.
- Add the Nutella and the salt and process until smooth. Add 1 cup of the heavy cream and process until smooth.
- Transfer the filling to the frozen crust, spreading evenly, and being sure to scrape the processor bowl well.
- Wipe the processor bowl with a paper towel and add the remaining 2 cups heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla to the processor. Process until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spread the whipped cream over the pie and sprinkle with hazelnuts. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Substitute 1 3/4 to 2 cups of any crispy cookie for the chocolate ones called for in the recipe, such as vanilla wafers or even shortbread.
- Use a store-bought premade cookie crust to save time and effort.