Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: less than 10 mins
Serves: Serves 4
Crisp fried chicken with stir-fried vegetables and cashew nuts. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
For the chicken
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- pinch sea salt
- 500g/1lb 2oz skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced
- 300ml/10fl oz groundnut oil
For the stir fry
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded, sliced into strips
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded, sliced into strips
- 3 tbsp chicken stock
- 2-3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 large spring onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp roasted cashew nuts
- sea salt and ground white pepper
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- For the chicken, place the egg into a bowl, add the cornflour and a pinch of salt and whisk well to combine. Add the chicken to the mixture and coat well in the egg.
- Heat a wok until smoking and add the groundnut oil. Fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- For the stir fry, pour off all the oil from the wok, except for one tablespoon. Reheat the oil over a high heat, add the onion and stir fry for a few seconds. Add the yellow and red pepper slices and stir fry for one minute, or until softened. Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock and soy sauce. Simmer for another minute, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the spring onions and cashew nuts, season, to taste, with sea salt and ground white pepper and transfer to a serving dish. Serve immediately with steamed rice.